Masaya, formerly "Mazātlān" comes from the word "mazātl" and means "deer" and the word "-tlān" means place. The name Masaya means "place of the deer".
Get to know various handicrafts from the region on the market
Visit a wonderful viewpoint in the town of Catarina
Visit Juan de Oriente, an old dreamy village known for its first-class pottery
The city of Masaya is known as the "cradle of national folklore" due to its rich indigenous heritage. It is also home to the best handicraft market in the country. In this very well-kept market you will find a large selection of handicrafts from the region: pottery, woodcarvings, leather goods, "primitivist" art, embroidery and much more. Near Masaya is the town of Catarina, part of a series of towns known as "Pueblos Blancos" (White Town). Catarina is 520 metres above sea level and is known for its beautiful ornamental plants planted by the city's many nurseries. But Catarina's landmark is its "mirador", a vantage point that offers a spectacular view of the blue waters of Apoyo Lagoon, Mombacho, Granada and Lake Nicaragua. If the weather permits, you can even take a look at the island of Ometepe.
A few minutes by car from Catarina lies another of the "Pueblos Blancos". San Juan de Oriente is an old dreamy colonial village known for its first-class pottery. The cobblestone streets are lined with many shops selling local and contemporary pottery. You can visit the local potteries and watch the potters shape and dry.
• Transport from and to Managua
• 1 bottle of water
• Bilingual local guide
• Typical lunch and drink
• Entrance fees: Visit of Nindiri, Coyotepe & Masaya's handicraft market, Catarina Overlook and San Juan de Oriente
Private tour: Pick up at any time on your hotel/hostal at any time between 08:30am and 10:00am (local time)
• Cancellations received between 7 and 10 days before the start of the trip will incur a charge of 40% of the total value of the program for administrative expenses.
• Cancellations received between 4 and 6 days before the start of the trip will have a 55% charge on the total value of the program or the deposit or advance payment that has previously been received from the agency or client will be withheld.
• Cancellations received 2 days before the trip and no show (NO SHOW) at the beginning of the services, will have a charge of 100% on the total value of the program.
This deal can be cancelled for free up to 3 days before the date of the activity.
We don't like fake ratings. Only rent-a-guide customers can rate deals in which they participated. After an activity took place, customers receive a mail in which they are asked to rate the tour. This way, we guarantee authentic reviews.
Personal rights are important: Our customers decide on their own whether they want their real name or a pseudonym to be displayed.